Thursday, February 17, 2011

Swing Time

I saw Swing Time (1936) for the first time last night. It was just more proof that 30's comedies are actually very funny even for today's audiences. Victor Moore was so funny to watch. He and Fred Astaire both had the funniest mannerisms throughout the film. I also think this is the loveliest I've ever seen Ginger Rogers. I never really paid attention to what beauty she has until watching this film. And her hair!!! Her hair just glistens. Of course it was heavily dusted with gold shavings and dyed but her hair looked amazing! I did have a bit of an issue with the Bojangles of Harlem number. That black face makeup is quite racist. Even though the dance number was so innovative with the big shadows and Fred Astaire danced amazingly I just thought it was distasteful to use black face I understand it was acceptable for it's time but I wasn't alive then and that might just be a good thing. Anyway the dancing was brilliant and it really is true that Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only backwards and in heels! That girl can dance.


                                          I read recently that the makeup department had to use whipped cream in this shot instead of shampoo because every shampoo they used would run down her face too quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment